According to the American Podiatric Medical Association, heel pain is the most common foot problem facing podiatric patients today. Fortunately, if you are dealing with heel discomfort, The Foot and Ankle Group in Mount Laurel, Bordentown, Columbus, NJ, and Philadelphia, PA, can help you receive the relief you need.
Here are some of the most common causes of heel pain that we can treat
Heel Pain Symptoms
Although you may not think about it much, the exercise, running, jumping, and standing we do every day puts an enormous amount of strain on our feet. Over time, this can cause pain at several pressure points, including the heels. These are a few signs that you may have a heel pain problem that requires treatment:
- Intense pain that causes you to limp or avoid stepping down on the heel.
- Pain or throbbing in the heel when you wake up in the morning, even before you take your first steps.
- Heel spurs (bony tissues growing under the heel).
- Inability to participate in your usual sports activities or exercises.
Causes of Heel Pain
When your Mount Laurel, Bordentown, Columbus, NJ, and Philadelphia, PA, podiatrist examines your case of heel pain, one of the first questions you’ll be asked is “what type of shoes do you wear?” That’s because ill-fitting shoes (especially high heels, flip flops, and shoes without a supportive arch) are the most common culprits behind heel pain. Other patients may have this pain because they are overweight, or have old, unhealed heel fractures.
Is It Time to Seek Help?
When you come to visit one of our offices in Mount Laurel, Bordentown, Columbus, NJ, or Philadelphia, our podiatrist may recommend:
- Ice therapy, during which the feet are submerged in icy water or wrapped with ice packs.
- Orthotic supports, lifts, and inserts.
- A night splint, which helps stretch the feet while sleeping.
- Corticosteroid injections and OTC medications for pain relief.
Make Your Heel Pain Go Away
The more advanced heel pain becomes, the more difficult it will become to get around comfortably. Get ahead of the problem by calling a podiatrist at The Foot and Ankle Group in Mount Laurel, Bordentown, Columbus, NJ, and Philadelphia, PA. Call one of our four convenient locations today to schedule your appointment.
Dial (856) 234-0195 for the Mount Laurel, NJ, office, (609) 291-0960 for the Bordentown, NJ, office, (609) 298-7000 for the Columbus, NJ, office, or (215) 332-5300 for the Philadelphia office.